10.21.2008

Of ultrasounds & left-handed pitching...

So at our last ultrasound appointment we were able to see the baby moving its arms in an almost wave-like motion. The doctor commented that the baby was "waving to dad" which, of course, made John feel extra special. I was enamored with the idea that at a mere 13 weeks a baby can actually move...crazy! But John had his mind on other things...

As soon as we left the doctor's office, John immediately asked me if I had noticed which arm the baby was moving. I had no clue. He, of course, noticed that it was the baby's left arm that was moving and he was already envisioning a future left-handed pitcher in our midst. (Sidenote: John has always told me that if we have a son, he will tie his right arm behind his back and force him to become left-handed so that he can become a left-handed pitcher...a well-protected dream of his). So, after a few minutes of fatherhood fantasies, I told him, "So, maybe our baby will be left-handed...but it also may be a girl." Only time will tell...

6 comments:

Casey said...

Katie,

I was equally as concerned about producing a lefty. I did everything I could in the early months, including setting every toy, pacifier and object on his left side. Now we are approaching his first birthday and although he has a laser rocket arm...it is his right arm. Fortunately, he still has the potential to be a switch hitter...so we'll see.

Katie said...

Casey- Glad to hear there are others out there who are equally as passionate (crazy?) about baseball as John.

Christa Wiens said...

Aaron wanted to tie Charlotte's right arm, too, just in case she was the first woman MLB pitcher.

Toni said...

Ha! No surprise, but Peter and I have had the same conversation. His dream is to have twin boys, one righty and one lefty so they can both pitch, one play receiver and one quarterback,and dominate doubles tennis. I keep telling him we will have boys who are interested in art and drama. He will hear nothing of it :) Glad to hear the ultrasound went well!

Katie said...

Christa & Toni- I should have known that your husbands would also share the same thoughts.

Christa- John laughed at Aaron's thoughts about Charlotte, but once he stopped laughing, he said, "Man, Aaron's right..."

And Casey- I read John your comment and, of course, you have now given him additional ideas about how to coddle the baby to left-handedness. I believe his exact words were "Wow, I never thought of putting toys only on his/her left side...that's a great idea."

Anonymous said...

I love this post! haha My son wants NOTHING to do with organized sport activities but my daughter on the other hand is all about them! So you just never know :)