Thought I'd do a little update on my 2 big boys. There are so many things that I want to remember about them at this age! Picture above by Lorie Chambless
Henry, age 4 1/2:
-He loves superheroes, although he really has no clue what they are all about. I think he heard about them at Kiddie Kollege and his interest has taken off from there.
-He loves to play with legos, his playmobil vehicles and rescue station, and his CARS baseball game. He really has a wonderful imagination and it is fun to listen to him play with his toys. Unfortunately for him, sometimes Charlie sabotages his efforts :(
-He still loves loves loves to read books. He has his favorites memorized and likes to "read" them to me. I really enjoy this too!
-Henry's vocabulary is really quite expansive. At this point I'd say he has quite a gift for verbal communication. This can be a good thing (he speaks and sings well in front of others) and sometimes not a good thing (like when he goes up in front of the church for the children's advent feature and tells Pastor Pat all sorts of random things about our family!)
-Henry is very kind and tenderhearted. For the most part, he treats Charlie very well and is kind to him when they play together. They do have their moments though.
-Henry gets upset with Charlie most often for messing up his lego creations and CARS baseball games.
-Henry is such a people pleaser. He LOVES going to Kiddie Kollege and his teachers really like him too. They tell me he obeys the rules and always answers all of their questions. Henry likes to come home and tell me about all the kids who misbehaved and got into trouble that day at school. We try to tell him to focus on himself, but apparently it's not sinking in all that quickly :/
-Henry has learned about the A,B,C,D,F grading system at school and tells me all the time now that he is practicing _______ (coloring, writing, etc.) so that he can get A's when he goes to Kindergarten.
-Henry is beyond ready to go to Kindergarten. He is so excited to be going to a real school!
-Henry is completely done taking naps. He usually goes to bed around 7:30 but reads for awhile before he actually falls asleep. He usually wakes up in the middle of the night at some point and comes into our room where he crawls into the sleeping bag that we have for him on the floor. Not my preference, but it works for now.
-We use prayer sticks at the table to help us pray for different things/people, and Henry always wants to grab the "Sequoia" stick because he wants to pray for his school. So sweet!
-There is so much more I could say about Henry, but I'll stop for now. I just feel so blessed to be his mom. He is such a wonderful big brother/cousin. I can't wait to see his gifts and talents evolve as he grows.
Charlie, age 2 1/2:
-Oh Charlie, he is so...TWO! He throws random tantrums when he doesn't get his way, he pouts, he cries, he whines. But we're working with him, and hopefully he'll outgrow some of this soon!
-Charlie loves to play outside. If Henry goes outside, he usually wants to play a structured game of some sort (baseball, catch, football, etc.) but when Charlie goes outside, he loves to just play by himself in the play garden. He likes to make "chocolate cupcakes" and put roads into the dirt. I open the kitchen window and watch him from inside while I'm making dinner.
-Charlie is mostly potty trained, but definitely not all the way. He still wears a diaper to bed at night, and then he will randomly have accidents during the day too. Last week he had 2 accidents at my parents house and one at church! He'd gone for weeks without having one, so I'm not quite sure what happened.
-Charlie LOVES to read books. He will just sit on my lap all day and listen to stories if I'd let him. It's the same way when he's at the church nursery. All the nursery workers comment on how they spent the whole time reading books to Charlie. This makes me happy.
-Right now Charlie has an irrational fear of the bathtub drain. He completely freaks out when you unplug the drain if there are any toys in the tub. And if he or Henry is in the tub, that is even worse. I think he thinks he is going to go down the drain with the water. For some reason the shower drain doesn't bother him, so we've abandoned baths for now :)
-When we put Charlie to bed at night, we always have to sing the same 3 songs: "Away in a Manger", "Silent Night", and "Jesus Loves Me". He told me the other day that I have a good mouth for singing "Jesus Loves Me". I'll take that as a compliment.
-When we draw prayer sticks at meal time, Charlie always draws his own name. He doesn't pray yet, but he wants to hold his own stick, by golly!
-I've actually been pleasantly surprised by how concerned Charlie is about things/people. Every time we leave the house he wants to make sure that don't forget Luke or his diaper bag. He also reminds me to bring his elephant backpack "just in case he has an accident".
-Charlie isn't taking naps anymore. If he does nap he ends up staying up until 10:30pm or later. I think cutting out his naps has contributed to his overall grouchiness.
-Charlie usually wakes up in the middle of the night at some point and crawls into our bed. Not ideal, but as long as we are all getting enough sleep, it works!
-Still lots more to say, but that's good for now. Our Charlie boy is such a treasure. We love him so!
- Luke seems to have gotten over the cold he had last week and is sleeping SO MUCH better at night. He even slept until 7:15 one morning with no night wake ups! Usually though, he wakes up once and then goes back to sleep until morning. I am feeling much more rested!
- He still loves to drool and chew on his hands. He pretty much needs to wear a bib at all times.
- He's still such a happy baby. We love him to pieces!
He wasn't particularly happy about taking pictures this week...
- Luke seems to have developed a cold this week and generally isn't sleeping well at all. Which means Luke's parents aren't sleeping well at all either :( He wakes up at least 4 times/night which is starting to take it's toll on me in particular. Looking forward to getting him well.
- Luke's cold seems to be giving him a really runny/stuffy nose, and a bit of a cough. It is somewhat difficult for him to nurse since it requires him to breath through his nose. He manages fine, but he seems to be eating slightly less at each feeding, which means he is wanting to eat more often.
- Other than the cold, Luke is doing well! He is still sleeping in our bedroom in the cosleeper which is working out well.
- Henry and Charlie are both quite good with him and are doing a really great job of recognizing that John and I have to tend to Luke first and them second, at least for now.
- Hard to believe he's only been with us for 15 weeks. Remembering life without him is a challenge!
- Starting to reach for toys.
- Spent 30 minutes in the exersaucer, which was fantastic!
- Naps are super short if I put him down (30 minutes max), and super long if I hold him (2-3 hours). This is EXACTLY how Henry and Charlie slept too.
- We have officially packed away the swaddle blankets and are now just putting him in a sleep sack at night.
- He loves sucking on his hands.
- Loves to lay on his changing table when we change his diaper. We are enjoying this now, because it doesn't take long and we will be fighting him to get that diaper changed ;)
- He goes to the nursery during Bible Study and Sunday School, but I have yet to put him in the nursery during exercise. Maybe I'll start that this week.
- Smiles all the time and is super happy. We love him so much!
For Henry's Christmas date we took him to Moo Creamery for lunch and ice cream, Barnes and Noble to pick out a book, and to Westchester Bowl to play his first bowling game! We had a great time. He is already wanting to plan our next date!
Henry in the car after we dropped Charlie off with Grandma Gail...
Playing tic tac toe at Moo Creamery while we wait for our lunch...
After tic tac toe it was sugar packet x's and o's...
Some firemen came into the restaurant for lunch and gave Henry a badge which totally made his day...
Cookies and Cream ice cream for our 4 year old...
And the highlight of the trip. Henry's first bowling game! He loved it!
Such a fun day! We can't wait to do it again!