2.11.2009

40-40...

One of my former students came up to me the other day and was talking to me about the baby. He asked me what I was having, and when I told him we were going to be surprised, he looked a bit shocked. I asked him what HE thought we were having. So...he thought for awhile and then confidently responded, "You have a 40-40 chance." "Oh really," I said, "A 40-40 chance of what?" "A 40% chance of having a boy, and a 40% chance of having a girl." He was just so darn cute with his analysis that I couldn't correct his mathematical error. I was proud of him for knowing that equal chances must have equal percentages, but unfortunately, his calculations leave a 20% chance of having something other than a boy or a girl...Although, the odds are still in my favor with an 80% chance of either gender. I won't spend my time worrying about that other 20%.

3 comments:

JHRME said...

That's pretty funny! You should write to "Kids say the darndest things"

kelly said...

Whenever I have my own stories like this I often say to gene: "...and THAT'S exactly what teaching is like." This was another one of those fantastic moments, so of course I said it again to gene.

I love it.

Jimmie said...

I like to see it as John is about to give birth to the second coming of Jose Canseco.