2.21.2009

Childhood favorites...

My parents read these books to me when I was young. I loved them. I believe they were both my dad's when he was a kid. He's now on a hunt for both of them for me, although, the first 2 copies he finds are slated for residence at Grandpa's house, but after that, I'll get the next 2. I can't wait. My next order of business is to collect some of John's favorite childhood titles. I'm not sure what those might be, although I'm sure I've heard before, but I'm sure Bob & Sharon can shed some light on this issue for me. What are your favorite children's books?


(This book always made me think of The Pirates of the Carribean...that is the closest I've ever come to a firefly)

4 comments:

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

A favorite was Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown. Mindy's favorite (and mine too) was some random book called Its Not Easy Being a Bunny.

When Emily was about two Scott ordered a copy of the latter for Mindy to read to Emily when she visited. Very fun!

Anonymous said...

John and Jill were both huge Bernstein Bear fans. We still have quite a collection of those, which will stay here so that they can be enjoyed with Grandma and Grandpa. I will have to think of other, more classic books that he enjoyed, but those were the first ones that came to mind. My favorites when I was young were The Cat and the Hat books and Horton Hatches an Egg. I still have a record album with the Horton story on it that I practically wore out. It was a Christmas present that I vividly remember receiving when I was a young girl.

Anonymous said...

I distinctly remember loving all the "pokey little puppy" and Berenstein Bear books. I also received a copy of "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day" in about third grade (from my teacher) and loved it. I thought I was so mature, reading a book about a kid who wanted to go live in australia because of one bad day.

i would also like to mention a book that gave me the heebie jeebs and which I refused to let my mother read to me: the velveteen rabbit. It was so sad! I hated it.

JHNickodemus said...

I have a new favorite...and my dad read it aloud to me last weekend! Its called Skippyjon Jones. About a Siamese cat who thinks he is really El Skippito, a Zorro like Chihuahua. Super funny to read and listen too!