6.25.2009

Fresh fruits & vegetables...

...are my absolute favorite. We've been lucky enough to receive summer bounty from many wonderful friends & family members. (Thanks Grandma Donna & Grandpa Art, Ben & Kelly, Julie & Dana, Brian & Shana, and Miriam!...hopefully I didn't forget anyone.) You can never have too much of a good thing, I say, so I've been scurrying around trying to keep as little of our supply from going to waste as possible. Which means, our freezer is FULL of fruit & veggies...and I couldn't be happier about it. Some people feel rich when they view their bank statements. Not me, I feel rich when I look in my freezer and see the goodness that was shared with us. We are rich in food, friends, & family...and that is just fine by me.

Doorstop delivery from Miriam...I dare say that there is no greater treat than a Reedley peach.

Apricots

Apricots to eat and to freeze

More peaches!

Each ziploc bag that I filled was labeled not only with their contents, but also with the name of the person who grew/gave us the goodies. This way, later, when John and I eat the food, we can give thanks not only for the food itself, but also for the hands who tended it &/or delivered it.

4 comments:

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

Living on the east coast makes me even more appreciative of the valley where I grew up and ate so many fresh fruits and veggies! You wouldn't believe how many items in the produce section at my local grocery store are from the valley! Of course they are not nearly as fresh as I would like. I keep telling my friends here that grapes should NEVER have brown stems! :)

JHNickodemus said...

Your blog posts always make me warm and fuzzy!

Kelly said...

Well I can definitely send some your way. I've been trying to find ways to use all the stuff we are getting and more just keeps getting ripe! If you have any ideas for cucumbers, green beans, bell peppers, zucchini, or mexican squash let me know :)

Olive Oyl said...

I love that you label your food with who gave it to you! I fo the same! I have loads of Miriam peaches in my freezer and smile everytime I see them.