12.01.2009

My Advent Calendar...

I've never had an advent calendar, and thought it high time to make myself one...on the cheap. I took 24 old soup/condensed milk/spaghetti sauce cans and wrapped them in some Amy Butler paper (Unfortunately, I didn't have any Christmas paper). I stuck number stickers on each can, and presto, an advent calendar was born. I think it turned out fairly well, although I was planning to hang it, but that didn't work out so well. It sits atop our bookcases for now, which is a good place for it considering Henry's budding curiosity. I have plans to sew myself one for next year, but this will do for now. If I end up loving it, then I'll keep it, if not, then I'll reuse the cans as pencil or sewing notion holders. The possibilities are endless really.

So, what goes in our advent calendar you ask? I'm not quite there yet, but I like this family-friendly advent devotional guide (it tells the story of Jesus beginning with prophecy in Isaiah, then moves its way through both the old and new testaments), and this more adult-friendly guide (it uses passages from both Matthew & Luke). So hopefully by week's end I will have each day's devotion cut up and put in it's appropriate can. I like the idea of celebrating Christ's birth throughout the whole month of December, and these guides helps us to do just that.





3 comments:

Poirier Family said...

I love that idea!!! If you don't mind I would like to use that in my own craft room to hide all kinds of little things.

JHNickodemus said...

VERY cute!

shelly said...

I think I like them better setting on a shelf than hanging, very cute, and the AB Paper is much cuter than christmas stuff....you could use them for other times of year with kids who need to count down to something.