2.15.2011

Henry's big boy quilt...

I've started working on Henry's big boy quilt. I'm using 6 of John's old shirts, plus a couple from my dad & Bob too. Along with the shirt fabric I'm throwing in a smattering of solids in blues, grays, browns, greens, & yellows. I'm using this tutorial to make the blocks.

I'm really excited about this quilt! I love that Henry will have a quilt that reminds him of his dad & grandpas. One thing that I've really come to love about sewing is that it allows me to be productively sentimental. By productive I mean that I have a way of incorporating sentimental fabrics, thoughts, pictures, and ideas into new and meaningful crafts, instead of just hoarding old stuff, I can reuse it and give it a new purpose!

The shirts below are the ones I will be using (plus 2 additional shirts from Bob that I got after I took this picture and a pair of my dad's shirt sleeves that he had my grandma cut off since he doesn't really wear long sleeve shirts :)...

(This picture makes the shirts look really boring, but they all have nice subtle patterns to them which will make them look nice once they are put into the quilt)

One additional perk to this project is that it forced John to let me buy him a few new dress shirts. He hates it when I buy him clothes, but he was willing to make an exception for this quilt :)

No comments: