5.13.2011

Henry's quilt: FINISHED!...

Henry's quilt is completely done. Yeah!!! I actually finished binding it over spring break, but just this week finally got around to stitching on the labels. I am so happy with the way it turned out. I think it's a quilt that will work for Henry both now and in the future.

The front:

The back (random pieces of shirt-like fabric that I got for a steal at the Quilter's Haven closing sale):

The quilt labels (I made a label out of the shirts that each grandpa & John donated to the quilt, that way Henry will know whose shirts were whose):

I saved the leftover shirt scraps, so if we have another boy I hope to incorporate those into a 2nd birthday quilt for him too. If we have a girl I'd love to do the same type of thing...but I'm not quite sure how that would look. Using my clothes & the grandmas clothes would be fun...but it would be a bit more challenging than using dress shirts. We'll have to wait and see...both for the gender of the baby, and for what I will do for their eventual quilt :)

6 comments:

Kara Haushalter said...

I LOVE IT!!!

Tanya said...

What an amazing quilt! I love the idea to put a border around each label using the shirt fabric from each person. I'm sure Henry will treasure this quilt for the rest of his life!

Charis said...

It looks great, Katie! Henry is lucky to have such a thoughtful mama!
My mom has a quilt made out her mother's clothes - it's full of 60s polyester awesomeness. She has another one that her mom made out of (unused) hankies from her grandma and her friends. They all embroidered their names on them. It's really quite pretty.

Me Myself and Yarn said...

What you did with the shirts is such a great idea! What a special blanket for Henry.

JHNickodemus said...

Ooooh! That's great! Love the labels! I need to get better at labels...you know the actually putting them on part!!! How great that you have someone tall enough to hold them the long way for photographing!

Christa Wiens said...

This is so fantastic!