6.30.2007

"I"ve made a huge mistake" -GOB (A.D.)

I don't know if the title quote applies to me or not, but either way, I thought dark beadboard would look nice against the light green walls in the kitchen... now I'm not so sure about my thinking process. Luckily I only bought a very small decorator's paint can of the brown, so for only $2.98 I was able to try out the color without making a huge commitment (or for that matter a huge mistake).

The first 2 pictures are of the white beadboard that was reused from the old kitchen. I can't really keep it white simply because the cabinets are cream, I'm thinking now that since the dark brown didn't work I'll either try more of a sand color or try and get close to the cream color of the cabinets. Either way, the beadboard needs to stay light so the kitchen doesn't seem oppressive.



The picture below is of the beadboard painted dark brown. I think it ended up looking more like wood paneling, which is really never good. So, now back to the drawing board...



(As will always be the case with my house pictures, please excuse the mess)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

--
an excellent post. the title won me over instantly.

good luck with the color coordination.

Anonymous said...

Now I can see your painting ideas. I agree that the brown sort of looks like paneling... but at least you know now.

Olive Oyl said...

We've had the same problem in our house... Ideas always seem much better in my head than on the actual walls... Our kitchen went from white to mustard yellow to a green similar to your kitchen. Our living room/hallways went from a red wall and an almost black wall and several pinkish/taupe walls to all tan walls and one dark brown wall... Of course, each room is about 4 inches smaller now due to the several coats of paint that are on each wall (one has a total of 9!!!)

Katie said...

Christie- John's afraid our walls are going to cave in on us due to the enormous amount of paint on each one...I laughed off the flippant comment (but I have to say that it is still a slight concern of mine...) We can commiserate together if this happens.