4.23.2008

I just got 7 new books...

...from the county library. Last summer, John's Aunt Susanne clued me in to the wonderful world of online library services. To access it you simply type in your library card number and a pin number (which is typically the last 4-digits of your telephone number) and presto...the Kern County Library System is at your fingertips. My favorite part about the website is that you can browse ALL of their books (including those in places like, Fresno County) and place "holds" on books that you would like to check out. Then, once a book is available for check out, it is shipped to the library of your choice, and you are notified of its arrival. It couldn't be easier.

So, about 2 weeks ago I went to the Kern County Library's website and placed a hold on 9 books that I was interested in reading. They spanned a variety of genres, as they were the first ones that popped into my head. Because I had never used this service before, I was eager to see how quickly my books would come. Well, today my wait was over. Seven out of my nine books were waiting for me at my local library when I got home from work today. And, the coolest part is, the library will be closed for floor renovations starting next week, so I get to keep all seven books for SIX whole weeks! Score.

Also note-worthy is the fact that I walked to the library and back. No gas was burned to get there. Well, actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I jogged to the library. I imagine I was quite the spectacle. Knowing that I had seven books waiting for me, I knew that I would have to carry a backpack for storage purposes. I did not let the extra weight on my spine discourage my attempt. I merely cinched up the straps and tied their hanging tails around my abdomen and thought of it as a "weight-training" exercise. The good news is I arrived at my destination in a mere 10-15 minutes and enjoyed a leisurely walk home with my new books in tow. I'm already plotting my next list of holds. If you have any recommendations please share.

My choices are shown below:














No comments: