9.08.2008

I baked bread last Saturday...

...it was good. Usually my efforts yield marginal returns, but maybe I'm finally getting the hang of it. This loaf was the perfect consistency and had just a hint of sweetness. Maybe I'll make bread every Saturday...maybe.


Amish Oatmeal Bread:
1 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 c.warm water
1 c. quick oats
1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
1/2 c. brown sugar or molasses
1 T. salt
2 T. margarine
2 c. boiling water
5-6 c. white flour
Combine oats, wheat flour, sugar, salt and margarine in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over all and mix well. When mixture is cooled to lukewarm, stir in yeast which has been dissolved in 1/2 c. warm water. Stir in approximately half of flour. Continue adding remaining flour. Turn on floured pastry cloth and knead. Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double. Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased bread pans. let rise again. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Cool on rack, brushing with margarine for a soft crust.
This recipe is from pg.108 of the Shafter MB Cookbook (although I'm raving about the recipe, I won't give the author credit here, just because I don't like to throw around names of people who aren't aware of the blog. If you have the cookbook you know who's it is :)

No comments: