9.03.2008

I'm it...

I was tagged by Jill, so here it is:

1. I love cold oatmeal.
John and I were introduced to the idea while staying with our Mennonite Your Way hosts in New Jersey last summer. They poured milk (we use water) into the oatmeal and let it soak overnight. In the morning, a perfectly moist bowl of oatmeal is ready for toppings. I like to use milk, brown sugar, chopped walnuts, and fresh fruit (especially peaches & nectarines). Although it is cold, the texture is so so much better than the mushy consistency of it's warm counterpart. It's best in the summer (in fact, I refuse to eat it in the winter) and is a perfect way to break your evening fast. I know it sounds bad, but it is really just the opposite. It's so good that I often feel as though I'm eating dessert for breakfast. Try it...you just might like it.

2. I once played varsity basketball at Stockdale High School. Well, at least I was on the team...I rarely played. My junior year I was placed on varsity due to a large number of injuries (not because I was any good). My sister was also on the team (as a freshman) because she was really good. It was a humbling experience for me. Denise started as a freshman, I sat the bench as a junior. I didn't necessarily mind sitting the bench, as I'm not very competitive when it comes to sports, but having my younger sister be one of the best players on the team made it slightly less appealing. I decided against playing my senior year largely due to the fact that I wanted to enjoy watching Denise play rather than be involved myself. It was a good choice. However, now that I'm married to a basketball coach, I can look back on my basketball experiences & use them to understand John's joys & frustrations. I understand what it means to play pressure defense & know what a backdoor cut looks like. I know what John means when he tells his players to run the lane & I also know what it means to pic 'n roll. So, I think God had a plan for my youth basketball experience. Not so much for my enjoyment then, but for my marriage now. Kind of funny how things work out like that.

3. John says I'm a woman of extremes. I'm either freezing or burning up, stuffed or starving. I guess I need to mention when I'm feeling "just right"more often.

4. My mind tends to take on the state of my house. If my house is cluttered my mind feels like it is full of cobwebs. If it's clean, I can think. I used to have to fully clean my room in college before I could even start a paper...sad, but true.

5. John and I teach Jr. High Sunday school every other Sunday morning and help with the Jr. High group every Wednesday night. It's a good fit for us as it allows us to work with a different age group of kids than those we spend all day with at work.

6. I love musicals! I'm not into dancing or singing myself, but I love to watch them. Obviously, "The Sound of Music" is my all time favorite.

7. I've only been in one car accident...and it was my fault. Nothing major, but very traumatic. I was meeting my parents at The Old Spaghetti Factory in Fresno and drove my '68 camaro to get there. I drove around the parking lot for awhile looking for an open spot, when I found one, right next to my parent's suburban. As I was whipping into the spot I hit the back corner of my parent's car with the passenger side front corner of mine. I was devastated! My dad had restored that car for me (with my help) and I felt terrible about my stupidity. I vowed to walk into the restaurant and remain calm, but instead I burst into tears the moment I walked into the lobby. I must have looked like the biggest idiot. My dad eventually fixed the car and all was right with the world again.

Ok, now that you know a whole lot of useless information about me...I guess I can tag Julie, Denise, Jenny, & Kelly (if you're into this sort of stuff).

No comments: