11.17.2008

Chicken Pot Pie...

I made a Chicken Pot Pie from what I had lying around the kitchen. It tasted pretty good, although it wasn't much to look at. I'll include my recipe here for what it's worth:

Chicken Pot Pie
4 stalks chopped celery
1 chopped onion
2 chopped carrots
1 chopped sweet potato (large)
1 can of corn
1/4-1/2 c. olive oil (I didn't measure)
1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. chicken broth (leftover from yesterday's crockpot chicken)
1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. milk
some shredded chicken breast (maybe 2 cups?)
some salt & pepper
2 pie crusts (I used the recipe from this cookbook)
In large saucepan, saute celery, onion, carrots, & sweet potato in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add four (& more olive oil if necessary), stir until smooth (mine never really got smooth). Gradually add broth, sour cream, milk & corn; stir until blended. Cook on medium heat until bubbly, approximately 20 minutes. Stir in chicken. Add salt & pepper to tast. Prepare pie crust. Put bottom crust in pie plate & pour in filling. Cover top with second pie crust; cut slits on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Pretty ugly...but it sure made the most of what I had in the kitchen.

(It should also be noted that John has refused to eat the sweet potatoes I bought last week, but I was so confident that he would like them that I threw them into the pie...he was none the wiser...although I caved and told him about my secret ingredient eventually ;)

No comments: