8.28.2011

Carpinteria...

We went to Carpinteria with my parents and Denise & Andrew at the beginning of August. We all had a great time. We camped in the State Park and my parents stayed at their usual condo. Both boys slept so well in the tent...I was honestly shocked! Charlie even slept through the night the entire time we were there. It was great :) We did our usual beach stuff, visited the local shops, made a trip to Santa Barbara, and even took a trip to the SB zoo.

The big story of the trip, however, was that John got stung on the foot by a stingray! He was boogie boarding (is that the correct way to say it?) by himself on the beach while the rest of us were in the condo. My mom and I were in the living room with both boys asleep and all of a sudden the door flung open and John was completely out of breath and yelled at us to get a towel to stop his bleeding. I assumed he had stubbed his toe or cut his foot, but it turned out that something in the water had bitten him. He was in a tremendous amount of pain and his foot was pouring blood and it soon became clear that this was not a minor wound!

I called and found an urgent care nearby and we grabbed Charlie (couldn't leave him behind since I'm his food source) and took off to find it. Once we got there they took us to a room quickly and immediately put John's foot in warm water. This helped the pain, but only for about 5-10 minutes. The urgent care was packed and it took forever to get a doctor in to see us. While we were waiting John's pain kept escalating and at one point he was shivering and shaking because of it. While John was laying on the medical table in complete pain, I was trying to help him feel better and feed Charlie at the same time. I did my best, but these conditions certainly weren't ideal. Don't worry though, after I fed Charlie he managed to have a huge blowout and I was left with some serious yellow poop stains all over my paints. Just as I was kind of getting over the fact that I baby poop all over me, he decided to spit up all.over.my.clothes. I was a mess! Motherhood is so glamorous :)

Once the doctor came in he looked at the wound on the top of John's foot (it was fairly deep, but only about an inch in length) and he immediately knew that John had been hit with a stingray barb. Apparently these stings are about as serious as a beesting, but on a pain scale of 1-10, they rate about an 8 or 9. So minor injury, but intensely painful. The doctor examined the wound to make sure that the barb was not left in the foot (it wasn't) and then gave him a tetanus shot, pain shot, and some antibiotics. After that they sent us home. It was a crazy day!

No pictures of the stingray ordeal, but the rest of the trip is recorded below...


Henry fell asleep in my lap with a tootsie pop in his mouth...

A tootsie pop for John too...



Charlie smiles...

My parents and the 4 Wiebes went to the zoo. We had such a great time!...






They had a small hill covered in astro turf that they called an "ant hill". The kids got to use pieces of cardboard to slide down. It was really fun...even for a 2-year old :)


My parents gave Henry a quarter to ride on this little mechanical car thing. I found it particularly hilarious that they didn't even hesitate to pay for this silly little ride. When we were growing up my parents didn't give us quarters for ANYTHING! If we wanted to ride one of these sorts of things we had to spend our own money on it (and, of course, being the miser that I am...I NEVER spent my hard earned quarters :)

They have a really fun little train ride at the zoo that takes you around the entire park. Henry got to sit with grandma and grandpa during the ride. He loved it!...

At the beach, Aunt Nees and Uncle Andrew helped Henry ride Uncle Andrew's board. Henry thought he was pretty big stuff! Andrew even taught him how to make the "shaka/hang loose" sign and say "yeah, bro!". Henry thinks Uncle Andrew is really cool :)



Henry also got in plenty of digging while we were there...




We had a great time...can't wait to go back again next year when we will have 2 boys running around in the sand, and cousin Feil too :)

1 comment:

Colette said...

Looks like so much fun! My favorite part of the story is the quarter for the kiddie ride - Danny and I had a good chuckle. We were the same way -- don't think we EVER gave our kids a quarter for stuff like that. BUT when our little Avery was about a year old we dumped a couple dollars worth of quarters into one of those things one night because she was having such a good time. On Friday night, Pops spent $10 on a SNOWCONE for that little thing at the circus. Oh, the joys of being grandparents!