7.31.2007

Boston!

First of all, Boston was amazing. It is a city rich in historical significance. One example being the rotunda of the state capitol building which was plaited in gold by none other than Paul Revere and his blacksmithing company. Second of all, the city is home to one of the most amazing desserts known to man (and I don't give my stamp of approval to just anything). The pictures will be individually explained below, and for those of you who are especially interested in our Fenway Park experience, you will just have to wait. John will return from Snow Valley basketball camp on Friday and he can post commentary on our visit then (I just don't think my description will do it justice).

John and I on the Swan Boats which are operated on the small lake in the Center of Boston's Public Garden.

4:55pm- Mass exodus from the financial district of Boston. Everyone seems to be walking towards the South Station which is the city's link to the Northeast Corridor amtrak connection. (Gotta love public transportation in Boston-a city that was laid out well before the common era of car use...and abuse)

Up close picture of the back of the Swan Boats. Operators sit behind the swan and actually pedal the boats to give us our tour.


This sculpture is based on Robert McClosky's book Make Way for Ducklings. As a children's book lover this sculpture was one highlight of our Public Garden visit.

Boston's Public Garden

Mike's Pastry- the most amazing bakery that I have ever visited. It is located in Boston's "North End", which is well known for its Italian eateries. This bakery specialized in Italian treats. (See below)

Here I am eating my new favorite dessert...a cannoli! If you haven't had one before, it is a must try. I believe Mike's Pastry's are the best (but I really have nothing to compare them to, so I guess I'll just have to try them at a few other places just to make sure ;)

This is Quincy Market, which is filled with a variety of vendors. It is located behind the historic Faneuil Hall which was the where the colonists congregated to share speeches flavored with anti-British sentiments.

Do I really need to say why I love this picture?

John and I on the steps of Harvard Hall.

3 comments:

kelly said...

Welcome to the world of cannoli! We discovered them only about a year ago and are equally delighted. We have found one italian deli in Fresno that makes really good ones, but the one in your hand from Mike's looks AMAZING! I loved this post :)

Jimmie said...

I hear the word cannoli and I immediately think of the mafia and The Sopranos. Maybe my mind wonders to that instead of the deliciousness everyone raves about because I have never had one myself. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of living on the West Coast.

Katie said...

Jimmie, it is a must try. I have now decided that I must find a delicious cannoli in the Bakersfield/Shafter area. When I find one, I will let you know.