6.22.2008

Project: Kitchen Cabinet Reinvention...

I thought this was going to be a fairly easy project (I always think that)...but I guess I was wrong. My husband and father-in-law are working together to reinvent our old kitchen base cabinets. I saved them from last year's kitchen remodel project (pre-blog, therefore, no documentation), because, of course, I can't bear to throw out such potential. The cabinets are white metal, with silver drawer pulls, cute, but very kitchen-y. So, I convinced them that it would be perfect if we could just recover the whole thing with a little bit of beadboard and trim, and voila! A perfectly new looking piece of faux-wood furniture. Once they agreed, I immediately drove to Lowe's and picked up some metal-wood adhesive, 2 sheets of beaded board, and various other miscellania for the project. Unfortunately, my quickness resulted in 2 sheets of warped bead board and 2 very frustrated Wiebe men, of which, neither were my intention. Lucky for me (and unlucky for them) I am not easily discouraged, so we pressed on. The frames are cut, using Bob's new table saw (bought as a result of this project), and the bead board has been repurchased. Hopefully my whole metal-wood adhesive idea will work, and I'll have a beautiful new piece of furniture, crafted with the sweat and tears of my dear husband and father-in-law. I'll keep you posted.

Hey, he's smiling, see, it's not so bad
The kitchen cabinet, pre-beaded board

The wood trim-freshly cut & notched


John at the helm


Once Bob left, I kept John company in the garage while he worked. This was my workspace.

No comments: