7.15.2008

The fruits of our labor...

The title is a bit of a bad pun, but I was combining a fruit & work post and just couldn't pass it up...

It's been well documented here that John and I love getting our food as close to the source as possible, and these little plums were perfect as they came from his grandparent's house, approximately 1 mile away. John's purpose for the trip was to retrieve a wheelbarrow and I gave him strict orders of "no more cantaloupe or watermelon" (we love it, but we have 5 cantaloupes in the fridge already), so what did he return with...plums. That's ok though because I think we've already eaten 10 between the 2 of us. That's not bad, right?



Now onto the labor part of the post:

This arch has now found it's permanent home. My dad made it for Denise & Andrew's wedding last June and Jill & Jay used it in their wedding last October. It's been laying in our backyard since the wedding season passed, just waiting to take its place as our new gatekeeper. We'll plant some sort of climbing vine soon, but until then, I'll just enjoy the fact that it isn't lying on its side collecting spiderwebs.

Today's project included removing (lots) of dirt from the strip between the street and the sidewalk. The dirt we took out was then relocated to anywhere in the front yard that needed leveling (which was pretty much everywhere).


While John was digging, he found this root. These things are everywhere.


John shoveled the dirt, and I spread it out with a rake. I think John got the raw end of the deal because I kind of liked my spreading job...

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Katie,
Phil and I planted some grape vines for our climbing arbor and they are beautiful. Just and idea for you.