4.17.2009

Old door idea...

When Denise & Andrew moved into our Great-Grandma Bartel's old house the front door was in a state of desrepair. It was removed & replaced in order to ensure its occupant's security. Denise, recognizing buried treasure when she sees it, saved the door, and then gave it to me...I've been planning to do something wonderful with this door, and have had a few ideas, but I think this idea (discovered here) is by far the best I've seen yet.


The only problem for me is...I don't need a desk. And, I certainly don't need a desk without storage. However, I'm thinking I could use this idea and turn this door into an outdoor table (operation backyard improvement starts this summer). I'm wondering if I could make it with collapsible sawhorses so that it could be put up and taken down with ease (not sure that this would be a good idea for stability purposes...) And, the glass would be super heavy and not a great idea maybe, but I wonder if I could use a plexi-glass of some sort. Maybe that would be lighter & more outdoor friendly. I don't know, but it's fun to think about...I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

JHNickodemus said...

Is it too big to be a coffee table?
oooh what if you get table legs, or fence posts, and put them on hinges that move out. Then you could brace them apart with a piece that rests in between them? Then you could attatch the plexi glass to the door with a screw in each corner but cushioned with two rubber washers? oooh I'm sooo envious!

Olive Oyl said...

Katie. My mouth dropped open when I saw this. We are going to redo our office this summer and this is like EXACTLY what I've been dreaming of! Not sure if I can convince the hubby, but SERIOUSLY! INCREDIBLE!